Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Here we are!

Well well. So I've talked to J about doing this project, and what my goals are, and he suggested setting up a blog, so that people could follow along. Sounded like a good idea, so here we are.

By way of introduction, I'm Trinity, and I'm a transgendered woman. That means that physically and genetically, I'm a male, but in my heart and soul, I'm a woman. The most effective treatment for such a condition is to transition the physical body to match the internal gender identity. I could spout the usual catchphrases, such as "I'm a woman trapped in a man's body", but I think that's an oversimplification of just what's going on inside me. Suffice it to say, my feelings are complicated, and probably pretty hard for a lot of people to understand. My therapist seems to understand pretty well, and though I've only been to see her a couple of times, I know that I'm finally starting down the right road. It'll take some time, and there will probably be some bumps along the way, but this is the right thing for me to do.

Most people who know about such things, have seen about half a zillion blogs covering a lot of the gamut of the transgender experience, though I don't think I've yet seen one which documents, in any rigorous way, the actual physical changes which take place throughout the transition process. Maybe there are a couple before pictures, and maybe a couple during, and some after, and a lot of qualitative description. The actual differences are sometimes hard to detect, because the pictures are usually so different: time, place, composition, etc. And of course with text, that's so open to personal bias and interpretation, well, we won't even go there. So my goal here is to treat the process in much more of a documentary way. I plan to take a picture of myself every day, with consistent lighting and composition, at a consistent time of day; any individual picture probably won't have much interest, but taken together as a short film, which is the ultimate goal of this project, we'll be able to see the changes happen in a much compressed timeline, and we'll be able to really tell just what happens.

I'm still a little bit off from starting any kind of physical changes, so it'll be easy to get a baseline. For the time being, I'll just be doing still photos, though I might move into a little bit of video at a later time. I probably won't even post the pictures every day, or even every week. I will try to keep this up to date with any goings-on related to my transition, and even occasionally post my thoughts and feelings on various topics.

So that's it. Time to get going!

1 comment:

obscura said...

Great to see the blog up and running. You're one of my best friends and I'm excited about the project and happy to have been included.

Since you're planning on compiling the stills into a video it may be a good idea to tape an introduction. That way you've got a video baseline if you decide to include more videos later on.

Most of all enjoy the journey!