Friday, September 19, 2008

Uneventful week, I guess

It's been several days since I've made a post.  Life just continues to roll along...

The city is still trying to recover from the recent hurricane, and many parts of the city are still without power.  Many traffic lights are still dark.  A couple of my friends who live closer to the coast have not been very lucky; one just sent a text message today that his house is uninhabitable.  Some of his things were salvageable, and some not.  It's terrible, but Mother Nature is not to be denied.

K and L, who live a bit north, are still without power.  I offered them any help they needed, so they're coming to stay on Saturday night, for a little air-conditioning.  The cold front was nice, but it's not quite the same.  Modern houses, especially houses around here, are not designed for natural circulation; central air or fans are basically required now, and of course without electricity, we have neither.  So, it's the least I can do to give them some air-conditioned sleep.

I ran into an old friend on Second Life this week, someone who I haven't had a chance to talk to for a few months.  Things were left in a bit of a bad state, but we've patched things up.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed her.  We've both been through some pretty dramatic growth and change since we lost contact, all for the better, so yaaay for both of us!

I'm at C and E's now, just poking around before we get ready for dinner.  I actually managed three femme days this week - Monday, Wednesday, and  today.  It's starting to become, well, usual.  Monday, when I was on my way to my car, there was a work crew busy cleaning up the hurricane debris.  I marched right through the middle of the group, and barely had a second thought about doing it.  That's not to say that I didn't have a whole ton of anxiety about doing it, but I did it nonetheless.  But all three times I've been out this week, I've been very comfortable with myself, once I got out the door.  I think the next step is to start getting out where there are more people, and people who don't know me.

No comments: