Saturday, November 8, 2008

Much easier than I thought

I came out to my dad this morning.

I had this whole horror nightmare scenario built up in my head - he was going to yell, and he was going to tell me that he never wanted to see me ever again, he was going to go for a gun (he has many), or any number of other equally bad things went through my mind.

The reality was about as different from that as it could possibly have been.

My letter that I read to him was very short, maybe two thirds of a page, and very light on details. I just covered the big stuff: I'm trans, and I will be changing, and I love him, and I count on his support. I think he was pretty nonplussed by the whole thing, because he seemed like he was really unsure what to say. The first thing he said was that he would give me whatever support I needed. He didn't really have any questions for me then, which didn't especially surprise me; most people just don't have any idea about what trans people are dealing with. I gave my normal offers of any questions answered, or any help understanding any aspect. It was almost a non-event. I certainly can't complain about that.

No comments: