Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas stress, as usual

Christmas always ends up being the most stressful time of the year. It's supposed to be a time when we can relax and take it easy, and enjoy being with family, but things always seem to get in the way of that. We can't find the right gift for somebody on our list, or we don't have enough time to complete many of the tasks that we set for ourselves. And of course, despite my planning to try to head all that stress off, I've done it again.

Sigh.

I was sewing some things for my mom, and of course things went south. Of course, some of the pieces weren't fitting right, and of course that caused everything else to get all fouled up. So right now, I don't have anything to give my mom. Nothing. I know that I can just take her aside and let her know what happened, and that she'll understand, and be ok, but that doesn't get rid of the stress that it has already caused.

And then it's becoming something of a tradition that I bake some fresh bagels for the day. That, of course, always takes longer than I remember it does, so of course, I'm up until some stupid hour finishing things up.

I do these kinds of things to myself every year, and I don't seem to be learning anything from them.

And on top of all that, I was hoping to have some time to talk with my brother-in-law, but he and my sister have to leave early Friday morning, so there won't be much chance.

My mom used to say that I would always get really grumpy around Christmas time when I was younger. I don't really remember too much about it, but now I know that I do.

No comments: