Sunday, January 4, 2009

Random stuff

Huzzah, it's the new year. I had thought of making a "happy new year" post a few days ago, but I didn't have anything really interesting to say. It would have been entirely content-free, so I didn't do it. I was saving you from banality. No, really, you can thank me later.

I'm most of the way through Whipping Girl, by Julia Serano. It's a book not just for trans people, but a book for everybody. She demolishes stereotypes and widely-held beliefs, and also dissects every aspect of why trans people are marginalized and dismissed. I know a college professor who uses this book in his class on gender. My favorite part so far is chapter 16, "Love Rant". I have to quote a short passage from pages 278-279, because it is just that awesome:
My femaleness is so intense that it has overpowered the trillions of lame-ass Y chromosomes that sheepishly hid inside the cells of my body. And my femininity is so relentless that it has survived over thirty years of male socialization and twenty years of testosterone poisoning. Some kinky-identified thrill-seekers may envision trans women as androgyne fuck fantasies, but that's only because they are too self-absorbed to appreciate how completely fucking female we are.
I don't think it's possible to be more bad-ass than that. Julia, you're my new heroine.

On a completely different note, J has been after me for a while to try out some of the social networking sites out there. He's had great success with them, and met bunches of friendly and interesting people, and he says he gets more invites to local meetings than he can possibly manage. I've had this blog for a while now, and also have a flickr photostream. A few days ago, I also began twittering. I'm still figuring things out, but it's kind of neat. I am @adm1nspotter; follow along if you like.

The hormones seem to keep revealing weird minor effects. Lately, I've been craving water, of all things. I have been drinking a whole lot more water than I used to, which is a good thing, of course, endless trips to the bathroom notwithstanding. My appetite is also weird - sometimes I'll wake up in the morning absolutely ravenous, almost to the point of nausea. I'll eat something, take my pills, and it'll be fine. Sometimes I'll be just soooo hungry, yet have no interest in eating anything. Other times, I'll feel bloated and disgusting, like I've just eaten the hugest meal ever, despite the fact that all I ate was, say, a couple of poptarts. I think I have gained a few pounds since starting, so I do need to resume getting some actual exercise.

2 comments:

laanba said...

Oh my god, I totally found your blog. WOW! People talk to me about being genuine and brave. You have me beat in spades. I can't even imagine what you are going through but I think documenting it is a wonderful idea. It will be so helpful to other people going through the same thing because you are an excellent writer. I'm not even sure what to say. Good luck? Break a leg? How about best wishes. :-)

Trinity Annabelle said...

Thank you so much for your kind wishes! :)

Everyone has his or her own cross to bear. Never forget that yours is just as important to you, as mine is to me. They're certainly differently shaped and colored, but they weigh us down all the same. The best part is that we can all help each other to lighten our respective burdens - that's what friendship is all about.

I'm glad we were able to spend some time together yesterday. I really enjoyed getting to know you, and sharing our mutual hobby, and I hope we'll get more chances to do the same. :)