Monday, May 25, 2009

A nice day

I went to C & E's for the day. The order of the day was hanging out and eating, and celebrating the holiday in relaxed style, the ideal way to celebrate any holiday.

A couple of their daughters' daycare friends were also going to be there, along with their parents. Turns out they were the same people I met at Halloween. Neither of the fathers where there, but both the mothers were. I had very little interaction with either of them. We don't have a lot in common, so I think there's really very little to read into that.

It's been the first day since my laser treatment two Fridays ago that my skin has settled down enough to go out in femme-mode. I remarked to C before I left this evening that some days it seems to be something of a struggle to get motivated to change and get out the door, and other days I'm excited and looking forward to presenting my true self to those who care about me. On both kinds of days, though, I am almost always able to forget about who I am or how I'm presenting; I just am, and I am comfortable in my own skin. In the future, it can be like that all the time. I'll just be there, doing my own thing. That actually fills me with some hope; I'm able to see a bit of light at the end of this long, dark tunnel in which I'm travelling.

The other part of this evening was that, even though I didn't talk to the other women much, it was apparently no big deal to them who I am or what I do. This morning I had some horror stories going through my head about what would happen. Would they challenge me? Would I have to defend my existence? Parents of small children can be notoriously humorless and inflexible when it comes to what they allow their offspring to do and see, and out in the 'burbs of Houston, conservative ideals are king. I am most definitely not the kind of person that the typical conservative thinks about when they consider who they want their child to know. But these people seem to have already figured out that I'm no menace, and their children's seeing me won't harm them at all.

I got home this evening tired and happy. Things seem like they're really coming together.

2 comments:

Jubilant said...

Parent's reactions are the reactions I'm most afraid of. I'm glad to hear that it went so well for you. Gives me hope <3

Trinity Annabelle said...

In my experience, it seems like, for lack of a better phrase, the "personal touch" helps a lot. By that, I mean when somebody hears about trans people, odds are they're thinking of some amorphous group of freaks, off somewhere being freaky, or on Jerry Springer being typical awful Jerry Springer guests. They have no direct experience with us, so they go on what little they know. On the other hand, when they're confronted face-to-face with an otherwise completely normal person, that seems to change things quite a bit. We suddenly become normal people, who are simply trying to make it in the world, like any other person. Like them.

It has become a strong belief for me that people simply want to connect with and relate to other people. The trappings don't necessarily matter, but the important part is what's in each person's heart. People want to figure out that, at our core, we're all the same; fundamentally, we all have the same hopes and dreams, and the same fears too.

That's how I read things anyway, and I may be completely full of it. But for now, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)