Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Work: The Final Frontier

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I've set up a lunch with one of my coworkers to talk about some of the goings-on in my office, and mentioned that I have some "personal stuff" going on that could become much more challenging as a result. I'm planning on coming out to him, so he's probably in for quite a bit more than he has any idea right now. The cool part about him is that if you're on his good side (which I'm pretty sure I am), he's one of the coolest, most laid back, live-and-let-live people you're likely to meet. We're close to the same age, and we've had some similar professional experiences, and I think we "get" each other.

But it's getting a little frightening in how our managers are dealing with us. One of the most positive people on my team was written up today - put on a "performance improvement plan", in fact - for his supposed negativity. But it gets even better. Normally, those things last for a few months, and are done - if you've improved, then it's over and everything goes away. This one, he said, is to last for the remainder of his employment, no matter how long he's there. It sounds a lot like the old "double secret probation". A concerning thought.

So then there's me. I've already had my own performance plan, for similarly silly and irrelevant reasons, and made it through ok. The bomb that I'll be dropping on them some months from now, though, might set many more bad things in motion. I've corresponded with HR about their pathetic equal-employment policy, which is, in their words, all that's required by law. That's to say, nary a mention of any LGBT people. And now that my management has started acting in a reactionary and purely punitive way, I don't hold much hope for my continued employment once my particular bomb is dropped.

There are a couple things that I feel like I should do. First is to talk to the individual members of my team, and see what kind of support they're prepared to offer. My feeling is that most of the team will be supportive; a few might be a little weird, but I think things will generally be ok there. I don't know what that will do for me in terms of management reaction, but it will ease my mind, and make it more comfortable for me to simply do my day-to-day work. Second is to sit down in front of the HR director and tell her what's going on. Unfortunately, based on some communication some others on my team have had with our HR department, I have about as much hope for that as I do with my direct manager. And from one of the earlier correspondences I had with HR, they "would like to think" that the company won't discriminate against me. They'd like to think, would they? As the saying goes, put a wish in one hand and poo in the other, and see which fills up first.

So if you're getting the idea that I'm a bit angry about this, you'd be spot on. There's not a thing I'll be able to do about it, other than hope they're not a bunch of complete jerks. And based on past (and present) performance, I've got a better chance of hoping that gravity suddenly reverses itself.

2 comments:

Luminis said...

Wishing you lots of luck and warm thoughts today, Trinity.

Jubilant said...

Best of luck today sweetheart. My thoughts, prayers and wishes are with you. My love too <3 *hugs*