Friday, June 19, 2009

Out, out, I say!

I finally managed to have my coming out talk with the final member of my gaming group tonight. Since we had plenty of time alone as I drove home (he gets road hypnosis pretty badly at night, so we carpool), I decided that I had stalled for long enough, and started out with "there's something I need to talk to you about."

I had to do a little more explaining to him, though I think it was more clarifying just what was going on, rather than him not knowing what the word meant. He's a pretty smart guy, and he thinks on his feet very well, so he had questions almost instantly. Some of his questions were a bit personal, but I tried to answer them as clearly as I was willing. I'm sure he'll have many more questions as time goes on, as he's a very inquisitive sort. But he said that I could count him among the wildly supportive. Yaay!

Earlier this week, I had a talk with another of my coworkers. We planned to take a walk to get breakfast, while I told him whatever it was that I needed to tell him. I was running late that day, of all days, so we were a bit rushed. I got everything out that I wanted to say, and he was supportive and understanding. He mirrored some of the thoughts about the boss and some of the other members of our group, of the other guys at work who know. He did caution me to be a bit careful of who I tell. I certainly have been; some people will know what's coming, and some people will have that bomb dropped on them at the very last minute.

It was a good week to come out to people. It's been a good month for transition-related things for me. Perhaps that it's Pride Month might have something to do with it? Or maybe it's just that I'm finally feeling comfortable with myself, and what I'm doing, and where I'm going, that it's becoming a lot easier to tell others about myself. That's such a good thing; a year ago it would have been next to impossible to imagine being where I am now.

It's late, so I'm off to dream happy dreams.

1 comment:

Jubilant said...

Pride energy is strong! But also remeber that we need time to emotionally prepare to go forward. Once you were ready, you were ready in spades <3