Friday, July 3, 2009

Exercise works for other things too

We all know that exercise is not usually the easiest thing to do - it taxes the body, so that we can learn how to make our body work better. Voice exercises, as I'm finding out, are no different. The first few times I did my readings, I either overdid a bit, or I'm just not used to the amount of breathing that I'm doing; I felt faint and lightheaded, which made me feel a little below average, and also rather frustrated me. Since then, however, I've gotten used to it a bit, and I'm not having nearly as much trouble, either physically or emotionally. So, it seems to be working, which, of course, is the point of the whole thing.

I asked S, my speech therapist, whether it would be worthwhile to record myself when doing my exercises, and she said that yes, it would give me some good feedback to hear what these new things are doing for me. The first couple days, I just spoke my phrases, and didn't record. I just wanted to get the hang of it, and, truth be told, I was a little afraid, based on the non-progress from my earlier attempts. Yesterday evening, I felt like I had it pretty well, and my curiosity finally overcame my fear, so I started the recording program.

Well. Veeery interesting. I can certainly hear the difference in quality. I know that what I'm doing right now is exaggerated, but I think I've got an idea of where my voice training will be going over the next weeks. This morning, I recorded a few more of my phrases, just to see if I was hearing things, or if it was a fluke. No, there's definitely... something there.

I'm actually kind of excited to continue these sessions, since I can already hear some improvement. I'm making some progress!

No comments: