Thursday, August 6, 2009

Trinity gets political!

I have long held mixed opinions about people who are strongly involved in the political process. On one hand, I admire them for having the courage to follow through with their convictions. Political change can often take years, or even generations, and one might never reap the benefits of changes that they started in their own lifetimes. It can be a very selfless act, sacrificing one's time for positive change, which they may never see, but is truly necessary.

On the other hand, I wonder why anyone would beat their head against the wall of no-progress and tyranny of the majority. Regime changes can often interrupt positive change, and set activists back, possibly to the very beginning of their process. Also, many politicians are not in the game to make positive contributions, but rather to thwart any progress by "the other side", simply because it is the opposition. And that's not to mention the corrupt politicians who sell themselves to the highest bidder, and make it impossible for ordinary citizens to be honestly represented in the government.

Earlier this week, the United States Senate introduced a new bill, S.1584, which is more popularly known as the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. It provides protection for employees from being fired based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. This is something for which activists have been lobbying for many years now, but for a variety of reasons, it hasn't done well. Earlier this year, the House of Representatives passed a version of ENDA, H.R. 3017, which finally included protections for trans people. The Senate version takes the similarly bold and necessary step of including all groups. I'm not sure when the Senate might vote on the measure.

This afternoon, I sent messages to Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison, who represent the state of Texas, urging them to support this new resolution. I got an automated response from Senator Cornyn, and nothing yet from Senator Hutchison. But this is the first issue about which I've ever felt strongly enough to take the time and effort to contact people who represent me, to ask them to support me by supporting the legislation. I don't know if my efforts will come to anything, but I can say that I put forth some effort and used my voice to make a statement.

3 comments:

Wol said...

Right on. As Gandhi said, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is vitally important that you do it."

(restraining my natural urge to pontificate :)

Trinity Annabelle said...

That's a really good quote. I like that a whole lot.

Don't restrain yourself on my account, Wol! I welcome your thoughts on the matter - any matter. I mean, here I am, blabbing my pontifications for all the 'tubes to read, and I welcome all to respond to my pontificatory blabber with some (or a lot, I'm flexible) of their own. :)

Jubilant said...

A lot of people bitch about politics but don't do much about it (myself included). Good for you for taking action, my dear.