Thursday, December 31, 2009

Holidays and stuff

Christmas has never been one of my favorite holidays. Too much to get done, too much family, too much on-your-best-manners, too much this, too much that. Too much stress. Just too much.

The new year is another one I just don't get. I just can't get all that excited for the fact that the calendar is recycling. The calendar does that same thing every month, and yet we don't get all excited those other eleven times during the year. And plus, it's more of an alcoholic holiday, and I just don't even go there.

But perhaps the new year thing isn't all that far out there. I had lunch with L today, and we talked a lot about changes in our lives. Seems like people can use something like a new year as something of a clean slate, to try something new and different. The setting of resolutions for the new year is a prime example of that. This new year, for me, will bring the most dramatic of changes. I'll have a new public persona. I'll have a new name. I should reach some plateau of completeness with all my big life changes. There are further changes which I might yet make, but those are still some time away.

One of the things that inspires some of my friends (and me too, of course) about my whole odyssey, is that fact that I get to completely remake my life, and my persona, and be exactly who I want to be. Exactly. That's quite a big thing to encompass. No preconceptions, no determinism, no history. I can change anything. I can be anyone. Tabula rasa, in a manner of speaking.

I'm actually considering setting some resolutions for myself. I've never done it before, but I think it could be something interesting. We'll see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sinnyo said...

I was thinking roughly the same thing, though I usually do convince myself that New Years' is an excuse to be a bit cheery and celebratory. It's a placebo, really - an excuse to forget anything bad from the previous year and try to make better on them even if only for the next few weeks.

I've never been one for making resolutions with which to commemorate the change in a year's digits, but this year perhaps like yours, will be a little different. It's the year I open up, seek help and start out on a journey to a better, truer me. With ambition like that, it's hard to give much thought to "hmm, I shall get more exercise" or "I shall give up..".

To that end, I'd love to look you up in-world some time, if you're willing. The name's Sinnyo Wirefly. :)

Trinity Annabelle said...

It's up to us to decide what is most important in our own lives. More exercise, or not so much drinking, or what have you, may not be the right thing for everyone. Only you can decide what the right step is for you.

Next time I'm in-world, I'll send you an IM. I'm Trinity Halberstadt.