Friday, April 30, 2010

Letter to my Congressman

The debate over ENDA, the Emploment Non-Discrimination Act, is heating up. Fundamentalist groups are spewing their hateful, panicked rhetoric. LGBT groups are preaching equality for all. Since I'm part of the latter, by definition, I felt that I should try to do my small part to help the cause which will directly benefit me. I composed a message to send to my representative, John Culberson, who is on record as saying that he believes trans-ness is a choice.

I am writing to you today to urge you to vote YES on HR 3017, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

I am a transgender person. I am also a citizen. My fellow transgender people and I are routinely denied our rights as citizens, for no valid reason. We face discrimination for jobs, housing, and medical services, as a matter of course. We face violence and murder, simply because we must live in this society which condones such behaviour. Passase of ENDA will send a clear message, not only to employers, but to all people, that this sort of blanket discrimination will not be tolerated.

There are several very vocal groups who are trying to sow fear about transgender people, suggesting that the restrooms of America will no longer be safe. I can state categorically that these fears are unfounded. Transgender people need to answer nature's call just like anyone else, and forcing them to use a restroom which doesn't match their outward identity exposes everyone to risk. There are people in society who might escalate such a situation with violence.

The purpose of HR 3017 is to level the playing field for Americans. We are a country founded on the ideal of equality for all, and this bill will enhance that equality. I strongly urge you to vote YES on this bill.

Thank you for your time.


Hopefully he'll read and understand, and more importantly, vote yes.

No comments: